Electrochem offers rechargeable military batteries based on all commercially available chemistries. As OEMs strive to differentiate in competitive markets, Electrochem has increasingly addressed our customer's needs with the highest performance Li-ion chemistry. Choosing the optimal cell can contribute to the success or failure of a product in the field and requires extensive knowledge of the performance profile of the cells under consideration. The first step in ensuring a proper battery choice is to fully describe the "real world usage profile" of the device. Then, a choice can be made among the leading cell chemistries. Three cell chemistries, Nickel Metal Hydride (NiMH), Li-ion and Li-polymer, currently dominate.
- NiMH batteries have an average energy density of 200 Wh/L, and deliver 500 duty cycles
- Li-ion battery characteristics include 1000 duty cycles per lifetime, higher load currents, and an average energy density of 500 Wh/L.
- Li-polymer cells have similar specifications to Li-ion, but they feature a semi-rigid and thin form factor.
Electrochem offers military OEM customers a high-performance, solution with a customized, but most importantly, safe battery system that is resistant to dangerous malfunctions by combining custom battery pack technology and specialized manufacturing processes to produce the safest and most reliable primary or rechargeable lithium battery system. Electrochem's custom power solutions are compliant with the major requirements outlined in the IEEE 1625-2004 Standard for Rechargeable Batteries for Mobile Computers. The following features and processes accompany these designs:
- Safest, high quality Lithium cells from tier one cell suppliers
- Testing incoming cells for electrical performance
- Thermal Protection Circuit (TPC) to prevent over-heating
- Protection circuit that prevents over-voltage, over-current, and under-voltage
- Support for the release of vented gasses
- Electrical tests include continuous charge, over-discharge, overcharge, and short-circuit tests
- Mechanical tests include shock, vibration, altitude, thermal exposure, and mould stress
For the most demanding portable device requirements, Electrochem offers additional safety precautions such as:
- Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) of the battery system design or manufacturing process
- Redundant protection circuit to ensure device operation
- Authentication of the battery pack to eliminate the use of aftermarket alternatives Cell balancing for packs with high number of cells in series
- Plastics with fire resistant additives
Electrochem's advanced SMART batteries communicate status to the portable device via an integrated circuit in the battery pack. This information might include: type, model number, manufacturer, characteristics, discharge rate, predicted remaining capacity, almost-discharged alarm, temperature and voltage. Our battery management technology maximizes system run-time by enabling use of the full chemical capacity available in the battery pack. Communication is delivered to the portable device via a communication bus (such as SMBus, I2C, or HDQ), and delivered to the user with LEDs.
Like its host device, military battery packs are designed with mechanics that are adapted for the specific environment in which it will be used. Electrochem provides battery packs that are assembled in plastic shrink wrap and fully enclosed in the portable device. For user replaceable batteries, the best choice is a battery pack with a hard plastic enclosure. Electrochem provides enclosures that meet the needs of the most demanding environments while augmenting your product's aesthetics and industrial design. Typical plastic choices include PolyCarbonate (PC), Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS), PC/ABS blends, Nylon, or Acrylic. Plastic enclosures will be sealed with ultrasonic welding for ease of manufacture and cost savings, but Electrochem also offers the option of glue or screws for the most robust seals. The electrical connector is selected to be the most compatible with your device such as Molex, Tyco, Mill-Max pogo-pins or Samtec PCB headers. A custom battery pack offers the best physical integration with your portable device, in addition to the highest electrical performance.
Live: Watch Electrochem on the battlefield
Military Capabilities Brochure: Available for download
NSN Selection Guide: Available for download
Product Solutions: Learn more about our pack capabilities
MSDS Documents: Available for download
Battery Academy: Learn key industry facts